Friday, February 22, 2013

Creamy Asiago Orzo

Ok, so I lied... I had told everyone to check back in today for a warm soup recipe but when I got home from work last night I was HUNGRY and soup just didn't seem like it would fit the bill. So, I decided to make Italian Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Asiago & Lemon Orzo by Sarcastic Cooking.  I'll post about the chicken later because I do not want to take away from the star of this show - the orzo. It is creamy and scrumptious and I recommend you make this instant! This orzo recipe reminds me of a favorite risotto recipe except foolproof and without constant stirring. It's really a win win.



So, here are the main players in the orzo: 

Flour, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, orzo, asiago cheese, lemon, onion, butter, 2% milk, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (you caught me, not ALL items in my pantry are F&E but MOST are) **Note: I cut the original recipe in half and omitted the dill because I am not a huge fan **

First, boil a pot of water and cook orzo as directed on package.
While your waiting on the orzo, melt your butter and add your chopped onion. Saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute about a minute more. 

Add flour and wisk until well combined then add milk and wisk until well combined and lump-free.

ADD CHEESE! (I accidentally added too much cheese but then just added a little extra milk to smooth it out.) The consistency should be smooth and creamy, not sticky. 

Add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon zest & juice.
About the time you finish your sauce, the orzo should also be done - drain it and add it to the cream mixture.
Mix the sauce and orzo together until evenly coated. Transfer to a baking dish. Combine melted butter and Italian seasoned bread crumbs - sprinkle over the top of the dish.  Top with extra asiago cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Then serve and enjoy! The hubby and I both loved this dish and I will definitely be making it again.

I served it with a simple Italian Parmesan crusted chicken breast and it was delish.  I'll be sure to post that recipe later. 

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment