Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sweet & Sour Kabobs

Happy Tuesday everyone! We've been enjoying some beautiful weather here in Las Vegas and it has made me want to dust off the BBQ and put it good use.  Enter, Sweet & Sour Kabobs.  (recipe courtesy of Once a Month Mom)



These little babies are so simple to make and are pretty tasty too.  A great thing about kabobs is you can use your imagination for the ingredients. I chose to stick to the recipe for my skewers but encourage you to add any of your favorite veggies to this dish as you really can't go wrong.  Here are my ingredients:
 Fresh & Easy beef & pork meatballs (found in the refrigerator section), pineapple chunks (found in the refrigerator section - though canned would work just as well), red & green bell pepper, & onion.

Chop up the onion, red & green bell pepper in to large chunks:
Then start to skewering all your ingredients on to large skewer sticks alternating between each ingredient. I used about 3 meatballs per skewer. Once you have made all your skewers, place them in a baking dish and drizzle with the sweet and sour sauce.  You want to make sure they get evenly coated so shake 'em and turn 'em around in the dish. You could also place them in a freezer bag with the sauce and shake - just be careful to not puncture the bag with the skewer.


Now, its time to grill! I placed them on our grill for about 10 minutes and flipped them around half way through. 
After I flipped them, I went back inside to throw my rice in the microwave.  I LOVE these F&E rice packs found in the freezer section. I use them all the time.  They are just so easy - pop in the microwave for 3 minutes and you have perfect rice. One bag is perfect for me and my husband to split.
When the skewers came off the BBQ they were charred in some places and the sweet and sour sauce was lightly caramelized.  They were perfection.  The hubby and I split one right off the grill, just to test them out. 

These skewers are yummy! Especially, when you get the bites that have a little bit of everything.  Hubby says we could have added some mushrooms so I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

Give 'em a try, let me know what you think...




No comments:

Post a Comment