Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Creamy Tomato Soup (only 4 ingredients!!)

I just recently (I'm talking within the past year or so) became privy to the magic that is tomato soup with a grilled cheese.  I know, that is complete insanity, so let me explain... Ya see, when I was a kid I would turn up my nose at pretty much anything that had tomatoes in it and unfortunately, this included tomato soup (sad face!!).  I ate grilled cheese regularly - bread, butter, and cheese I could handle like a champ.

I missed out on years and years of the magical comfort food pairing. When I finally decided to give the combo a try, you can imagine my excitement! The two just belong together! Needless to say, I now crave this combo constantly. My stomach is probably trying to make up for years of neglect.

Yesterday, one of these cravings came over me and I had to have some cheesy goodness, on crunchy golden bread, dipped in warm, creamy tomato deliciousness, STAT. Luckily, While I was on my lunch break I was able to whip up a batch of this soup with a grilled cheese in 15 minutes to satisfy my craving.  



Here are the ingredients - 
Soup: butter, flour, 2% milk, 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic & olive oil (do not drain) 
Grilled Cheese: butter, french bread, sharp cheddar
 I started by melting butter.

 Add the flour and wisk it all together.

 Add milk and wisk until there are no clumps and mixture begins to thicken.

 Add can of tomatoes and mix well.


Transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until well blended.

Make grilled cheese and serve together! YUMMMMMMM.

Creamy Tomato Soup

Ingredients

  • 2   tbsp butter
  • 2   tbsp flour
  • 1 ½ cups 2% milk
  • 1   14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic & olive oil

Directions
1. Melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add flour and mix well until blended and paste is formed.
3. Slowly, wisk in milk. Continue to wisk until the sauce thickens and there are no flour clumps.
4. Add can of tomatoes and stir well.
5. Transfer to blender or food processor and pulse until well blended. Serve immediately.

TIP: Any blend of canned tomatoes would work for this soup - I’ve seen some with basil and oregano that would also work perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment